Friday, August 15, 2014

Properly Dis-oriented

     It has been a year, a year since I was writing about entering a year of service through the Jesuit Volunteer Corps. I knew that for the next 12 months I would be living in intentional community on a limited income, working at a not-for-profit soup kitchen, living and learning about my faith, and putting into practice social justice to view the world from a new perspective. As ideal and lovely as all of that sounds, this year has not been a cake-walk. This year has been challenging, rewarding, fulfilling, overwhelming, empowering, freeing, joy-filled, messy, affirming, and so much more.

     A year ago I traveled to Blue Ridge Summit, PA for JVC Orientation where I met my community members for the first time along with the 70+ other JV's in the East coast region. I was introduced more fully to the four values and pledged to live out this year with intention and gratitude. Orientation was the beginning, the invitation to experience this year in a very real way. Dis-Orientation was the ending, the bookend closure to 12 months bursting with love, frustration, vulnerability, and growth.

     All of the JV's on the East gathered together again at Blue Ridge Summit for four days of more speakers, shared meals, "forced fun" (aka bonfire and ice cream party!), and time to relax and reflect on how the year has gone and more importantly how we can continue to live out the four values (reminder: community, spirituality, social justice, and simple living) in the future.

     The relaxing part was great! I shared a room with two of my community members which meant we chatted before bed each night and relished in the fact that we are together for three more weeks and can chat face to face. I ran each morning down a beautiful road which had no hills to speak of (celebrate!). I ate delicious, nutritious, home cooked meals; laughed, shared stories with others, and journaled. We celebrated mass together on the same lawn that welcomed us into JVC 12 months prior.

     The reflecting part was more challenging for me during those four days. I am an "after-the-fact" process-er so trying to think about the real end of JVC and my time in Syracuse was difficult for me to be fully present to because it hadn't actually happened yet. I value the tools that JVC gave us as helpful ways to process, reflect, and transition but I recognize in myself that I am not quite there yet, even now. I have a lifetime to unpack the lessons I learned and relationships I formed right?!?

Replicating the first photo we took together.
With Kelli our program coordinator.
Katrina and Jacqueline.
Missing Paul in this community photo.
Olivia!

No comments:

Post a Comment