Friday, August 15, 2014

Lessons learned at Samaritan Center

This is a list that honestly has no end. I believe that long after I have left the Samaritan Center I will still be unpacking this experience and the lessons I have learned here.
  1. Bring your best self.
  2. You're doing it better than no one.
  3. Go where your heart takes you.
  4. Always bring an umbrella.
  5. Happy hump day!
  6. Sometimes you drop the ball, but everyone does so the best thing to do is pick the ball back up and keep playing the game. We all drop balls.
  7. People matter.
  8. Give, give, and give some more.
  9. Embrace the "...duties as otherwise assigned" clause in the employee handbook. Ding dong ditch?!
  10. If everyone helps, the task gets finished quicker and is more enjoyable.
  11. Laugh. A lot.
  12. The flood isn't over until it's over.
  13. Being grateful is a state of mind.
  14. "My mother told me to act my blood type. B positive."-Guest
  15. "That guy sleeps in the same room as me each night at the shelter. He is always by himself. If he needs a friend, tell him I will be his friend."-Guest
  16. "My name is Chris. It seems you have forgotten my name, not to worry since you interact with so many people. I just thought I would remind you because it is so nice that you call people by name."-Guest
  17. "You need to advertise, this place isn't busy enough." -Guest (pure sarcasm, said on a day we served over 300 people)
  18. "Have you thought about that church up the street?"-Guest (about the church we purchased to become the new Samaritan Center)
  19. Learn each day.
  20. Smile, it brightens the world, or at least one person's day.
  21. Having a code for what abbreviations stand for is super helpful.
  22. I will forever want to spell "super" as "souper".
  23. Kindness is a responsibility.
  24. The many ways to serve chicken patties.
  25. Expect the unexpected.
  26. "God made the day perfect, all you have to do is adjust your attitude." -Guest
  27. Need a pick me up? Have a brownie, cookie, cupcake, or donut; it makes things better.
  28. Chinese food for breakfast can become totally normal.
  29. It is possible to feed 250 people in one hour whether you have 5 volunteers or 25.
  30. Open your heart.
Please visit http://www.samcenter.org/ to learn more about this organization which is near and dear to my heart.



Some of the volunteers, Brenda (assistance kitchen manager) and myself.






My desk the last week of work.
Future home of Samaritan Center.


No comments:

Post a Comment