Friday, May 16, 2014

Seasons

Winter was rough, really rough!


  
  I knew to expect snow when I decided to move to Syracuse this year and for snow, I was ready. Very prepared actually. I know how to layer, wear certain shoes outside while taking another pair for inside. I have many blankets on my bed and a heating pad which served as a blanket warmer. I had two pair of gloves, two scarves, ear muffs, a warm hat with ear flaps even. And much enthusiasm. Yes enthusiasm!


Warm hat, gloves, scarf, and coat? Check!
Thank you Julie for the beautiful blanket!


















   I knew I was moving to one of the country's snowiest places so I was ready to embrace it. I found the beauty in it, I enjoyed the activities...ice skating, winter lights, building snow people, photographing it, etc. but then it became too much. Not the snow, just winter. It dragged on and on and on!

    I was so sick of wearing two or more of every article of clothing. Seriously, some days I had two pairs of socks on, two pairs of pants, four shirts, and a blanket (even sitting at my desk at work I had a blanket on). I am not the first one to say this but wow this winter was COLD! Syracuse was "blessed" with the experience of at least two polar vortexes and yes I was taking the city bus to and from work, walking in -10 degrees (-20 degree wind chill). The snow wasn't the problem, the cold and clouds seriously (negatively) affected the mindset of even the most-proud-snow-loving-born-and-bred Syracuse residents. And it hit me hard too. I tried to stay positive for so long and embrace the winter. I kept telling myself that I am only here for one year so I should enjoy it, cherish it for the memories it is creating. But by the beginning/middle of April I was over it. And now apparently, so is Mother Nature!

Tulips in our front yard!















   Spring has arrived!!! I am so very very thankful. In the true spirit of Easter, new life has begun all over the city. Families are sitting on their porches and children are playing (loudly I might add) until late into the evening; it is difficult to fall asleep when daylight has just ended. Grills are filling the air with the scents of hamburgers and fresh veggies. Even the rain and thunderstorms (a big one a few nights ago!) are welcomed as signs of spring and the official end of winter. Oh, and the already multiple trips to Gannon's Ice Cream have definitely helped me ascend out of the winter slump and put the spring into my step.

 It's definitely almost summer! 86 degrees yesterday! Happy sunshine folks!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment