Thursday, May 29, 2014

Breweries

    After living in St. Louis for four years one would think I might have had enough of "all things beer" for a while. However, living only a few miles from the Anheuser-Busch brewery has made me appreciate "all things beer" that much more. I will be honest though, it hasn't been until this year that I have really come to "like" the taste of beer and I have been gravitating more towards the dark porters than your average light beer. 

    I went on the full brewery tour, which took over an hour and involved a shuttle ride, in St. Louis at least 4 times. I found it fascinating! One of my favorite parts was the "beech wood aging process" because we went into a ridiculously cold room out of the summer heat. See I listened! Here are a few photos of when my family came to visit me for Easter of 2012 and we went on the tour.

Proud parents.



Lime-A-Rita's started here!



    This year, one of the questions that I ask myself quite frequently is, "what is there to do that is fun and is it cheap/free?" An answer that fits both of those criteria is often a brewery! There is a cute little (and I mean little!) local brewery here in Syracuse that some of my community members and I went to a few weeks back. It is called Middle Ages brewery and it consists of one giant room, one medium sized room, and a tasting room. That's it. They have a great reputation here in Syracuse and locals are quite proud of it. Since I have been taking a fancy to porters recently I like their "Duke" beer. Yum!

Giant room at Middle Ages.

Beer tanks. Although it might also be oatmeal...

Lovely ladies. And a new friend we met in the background.



Middle Ages, get it!?

All the ladies went, Paige took the photo.
Left to right: Elizabeth, Knight, Jacqueline, me, Katrina.
    As if I haven't talked about beer enough already, (sorry to folks who find this topic uninteresting) when my community went to Boston for St. Patrick's Day we also went to the Sam Adams brewery. It is larger than Middle Ages but much smaller than Anheuser-Busch. It was not their biggest producing brewery but I think they said it was their oldest facility. Sam Adams fit both criteria for activities "fun and free" so we enjoyed the sunshine that afternoon, had some samples, and went to the infamous Doyle's bar afterwards with some other East coast JVs.



We're all legal.





Katrina, Jacqueline, Lauren (Boston JV), and Evan (Portland JV).

Infamous I tell you!

No comments:

Post a Comment