Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Easter 2014

    Is it too late? Nah!

    Easter is my favorite holiday, always has been. I (of course) love Christmas but there is something about Easter that makes my heart sing. I think it is the weather, the spring time sunshine (or peaceful rain) that welcomes the risen Christ and brings families together.

    This Easter I was in Syracuse with some of my community members. The Wednesday before Easter I was scheduled to lead our "Community night". (If I haven't already mentioned this before, JVC asks communities to have both a "Spirituality" and "Community" night once a week. One person leads an activity/reflection/or plans an event for us to attend. Get it?) So I was leading that Wednesday and I decided to have an Easter egg hunt. I filled 36 little eggs with candy and 6 big eggs, each one with an individual's name. Since there were so few eggs and 6 people would be looking I had to hide them very strategically. At the end of the hunt there were still 7 little eggs and one big egg hidden. The one big egg has still yet to be found although I did "find" the others so that no candy was wasted hidden away.

Paul and Brendan searching for eggs.
Elizabeth finally found one!
Jacqueline, Liz, and Katrina searching diligently.
    So on Thursday the Easter Triduum began. We had just visited a different church in Syracuse for Palm Sunday and really enjoyed the mass so we decided to attend the Triduum services there as well. I am so glad we did. I cannot remember a more joyful and celebratory Easter Triduum even when I was surrounded by fellow students on SLU's campus. The Last Supper on Thursday was reenacted by the priest and 2nd graders (soon to receive their first communion). He washed their little feet and gathered them around the alter as if he were actually sharing a meal with them like Jesus had. So lovely.

     On Good Friday, the 9th grade confirmation candidates reenacted the stations of the cross. (The great thing about this parish is the diversity and celebration of many cultures and persons.) A Congolese young man played the role of Jesus and, forgive my shortcomings, sparked a new idea of who the man Jesus might have been. This was the only Good Friday service I have been to that was joyful; we sang gospel songs and left with a feeling of hope and anticipation.

    We welcomed Liz's sister and brother-in-law to celebrate Easter with us. They arrived on Saturday and then attended mass with us on Sunday morning. The mass was fantastic! One of the best homilies I had heard in a while, very real and soooo celebratory! The Gospel choir was so fun and engaging! We took some quick pics in our Easter outfits before changing into more appropriate clothing to cook in. We whipped up a huge Easter brunch and enjoyed a sunshiny day with one another. This Easter fully embodied why Easter is my favorite holiday. My JVC community truly has become family.

Katrina, Paul, Elizabeth and me on Easter.
Delicious Easter brunch! Elizabeth's sister and brother-in-law joined us.
Easter goodies!

No comments:

Post a Comment