Monday, April 11, 2016

New Zealand: North Island

I like reliving these moments by writing it all down here but it somehow makes me feel guilty or that I am bragging. However, as time passes I feel a sense of longing to write down the memories for fear of forgetting them. It is time to be "blogged" down again as I sift through the photos and the weeks gone by to tell the tale of my recent existence.
______________________________________________________________________

As previously stated, Ashlea and I flew into Auckland which was the beginning of my Southern Hemisphere Adventure. I was set to have two weeks on the North Island with her and her family, including little Lexi dog! We arrived in Auckland and after breakfast, coffee, and a quick hour power nap we were off to explore Auckland before driving to their home the next day a few hours south. Visiting all of Auckland is not possible in one day, but seeing most of it is possible if you travel to the top of the Skytower to take in the view. 


Auckland Harbor Bridge


After sleeping 13 hours we woke up and were off to Napier, a good 5 hour drive south through the beautiful rolling hills of New Zealand. The baby sheep and green green grass had me sitting with my nose to the window in pure awe, like I had never seen the outdoors before. The whole time I was in NZ I was amazed at the beauty of the country, the hills, greenery, mountains, lakes, all of it!






We crammed numerous day trips and much fun into two weeks before I departed for the South Island. Ashlea and I kept busy with hikes up Ta Mata Peak and Bluff Hill, trips to Napier Port and walking around Napier for the Art Deco tour, the National Aquarium (and I saw a kiwi bird!!!), a Hawke's Bay Magpies rugby game, drinks at the boat club, prawn (shrimp) fishing, visiting Huka Falls and Lake Taupo. We had Harry Potter movie marathons, made s'mores and Mexican food, I tried my first pavlova and Ashlea even took me rowing! We spent a long weekend in Rotorua (aka Rotovegas?) and went bathing in outdoor natural hot springs, visited a traditional Mauri village, and rumbed down the hill in the luge before seeing the geothermal mud pools on the way back to Napier. 











 I was sad to leave the North Island, knowing that I have so much more to explore (which will have to wait until my next trip) but excited about heading to the South Island to see Sam and go tramping! I flew south to Christchurch via Wellington which did a great job of promoting the famous feature films of the country.



No comments:

Post a Comment