Sunday, November 23, 2014

Change and Support

    I knew JVC was only for one year, starting in August and ending the following. I have tools from DisOrientation that are suggested ways of processing the year and putting lifestyle changes into practice in one's life as a FORMER Jesuit Volunteer. I have a network of FJV's that "get it" and a family that supports me. As the months continue to pass since my JVC year ended I am so grateful for that support from my family and friends as I allow for this transition to take place as it needs to.
    I loved my JVC year. I still love my community, job, and city. Daily things that remind me of some experience during my JVC year bring a smile to my face and a sense of sadness and longing for return, for time to reverse itself. Since I know I cannot return to that year or replicate any experience I had I guess it is time to move forward. And move is just what I did.
    After my road tripping gallivant across the country I went home for a bit, home to Dayton. (Side note: Please take a few moments to read this beautiful post by one of my best friends about the definition of "Home" that I completely agree with.) I spent time with my parents, sister, high school friends, and my Momma's side of the family. It was great to connect again with all that Dayton means to me and share my experience with those that asked...let's be honest, I will tell you even if you don't ask! :) After a week and a half in Dayton it was time to move.
   

 

    So here I am in Liberty, Missouri (my birthplace) just a few miles north of Kansas City. My dad's side of the family is out here in Liberty and the surrounding area so I have been coming here for every other holiday/summer my whole life. When I lived in St. Louis I would come more west towards Kansas City for some holidays rather than going home to Dayton sometimes. I am living with an aunt and uncle and three cousins and I have other cousins and grandparents just a few miles from my house. I love being in Liberty where I was born and exploring the Kansas City area a bit more.



 

 

 

     I plan on being in Liberty until the end of January (ish) and I am working at Immacolata Manor working with adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities in the day and residential programs. I have known about Immacolata for my whole life since my Momma used to work here about 25 years ago. The population that the Manor serves is a beautiful, vulnerable, and special population and I feel very blessed to be welcomed into this family. We have so much fun together; the clients and my coworkers have accepted me and helped me learn the ropes. I even enjoyed Halloween (my least favorite holiday) so I am very excited to celebrate the coming holiday season with this new community.



    Change is inevitable and I am so blessed to have the support of my family and friends as I continue to figure out just where I am called to be and what exactly I am called to do. For now, I am simply being present.

No comments:

Post a Comment