Saturday, August 1, 2015

Another busy week

    Life at camp is totally unpredictable. I honestly expect to have no idea what is going on half of the time and just letting that be the norm. This past week I was with a group of campers that completed challenges to figure out clues leading us to out-of-camp adventures. We spent Monday afternoon getting an up close and personal look at Mt. Hood! I was able to ride a ski lift for the first time in my life and was so very close to the summit of this magnificent mountain! The pictures don't quite do the mountain justice since we were close to the top and therefore it looks tiny...trust me, it wasn't!





    Then on Tuesday we went into Hood River and walked around the cutsey downtown area and searched for a "Where's Waldo" figurine in shops to promote shopping local in the area. The campers quite enjoyed this and we were able to enjoy a fun day in the sun that led us to the beachfront on the Columbia River.



    On Wednesday, after completing more challenges to determine our destination, we visited the Columbia River Gorge Museum Center and were educated in the history of this beautiful area. The museum was far less exciting to my campers than it was to me but I enjoy the "educational aspects" of exploring especially when I am in a new and lovely place. For lunch we enjoyed a trip to a playground which was most definitely a hit since the girls were able to enjoy swinging (let's be honest, that was also fulfilling my selfish love of swinging) and climbing around. In the afternoon we ventured to Multnomah Falls which is along part of the Historic Columbia River Scenic Highway and a tourist destination for hundreds of people each week! The hike to the top of the falls takes you up 11 switchbacks and is only just over one mile. We were able to play in the stream that becomes the falls which was quite refreshing after the hike up. I am grateful to be able to document these experiences through photos and text however the memories and feelings of elation, pure joy, perseverance, and determination are only truly felt in the present moment of that experience.






   Thursday, which again is typically mountain day here at camp, was 100 degrees and therefore hiking was replaced by water games!!! We enjoyed a slip and slide, sponge relay, drip drip drench, and an all camp swim. Friday my campers headed off to another camp (it is a two week program) while I hung back at camp so I can be the counselor for another group of girls next week...which will most definitely be documented here later. Spoiler alert: hiking/backpacking in the Sisters (mountains) Wilderness with three campers and llamas!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment